Research Projects Seeking Participants
The Institute is currently funding a number of clinical trials that are recruiting study participants. More information on each study including contact information can be found below, though please note this information may not be current.
Principal investigator: Dr. Elizabeth Finger, MD, FRCPC, FAAN
Purpose of the study: The purpose of this study is to determine if intranasal oxytocin will reduce social apathy and empathy deficits in patients with Frontotemporal Dementia.
Trial website: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03260920
- Parkwood Institute, London, ON (Canada)
- Toronto Western Hospital, UHN, Toronto, ON (Canada)
- Sunnybrook Hospital, Toronto, ON (Canada)
- McGill University, Montreal, ON (Canada)
- University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC (Canada)
- University of California, San Francisco, CA (United States)
- University of California, Los Angeles, CA (United States)
- Columbia University, New York, NY (United States)
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA (United States)
- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD (United States)
- University of Washington, Seattle, WA (United States)
Contact: Kristy Coleman, email: Kristy.Coleman@sjhc.london.on.ca
Principal investigator: Dr. Marta Kaminska
Purpose of the study: To determine if long-acting levodopa medication can be used to treat obstructive sleep apnea effectively in Parkinson’s disease
Trial website: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03111485
- McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, QC (Canada)
- Montreal Neurological Hospital, Montreal, QC (Canada)
- Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, QC (Canada)
- Cite de la Sante Laval Hospital, Montreal, QC (Canada)
Contact: Melissa Braga Gomes, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Principal investigator: Dr. Zahra Moussavi
Purpose of the study: Applying high-frequency rTMS treatment to Alzheimer’s patients at early and moderate stages and investigate the treatment efficacy in a controlled study.
- Riverview Health Center, Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
- McGill University, Montreal, QC (Canada)
- Alfred-Monash Research Center, Melbourne (Australia)
Principal investigator: Dr. Stephen Pasternak
Purpose of the study: The aims of this trial are to determine  whether Ambroxol is safe and well-tolerated by individuals with PDD and  the effects of Ambroxol on cognitive, biochemical, and neuroimaging measures.
Trial website: This trial does not have its own website, but protocol description is available at clinicaltrials.gov (Trial ID: NCT02914366) as well as the Fox Trial Finder: https://foxtrialfinder.michaeljfox.org/trial/4781/
Recruiting location(s): Parkwood Institute, London, ON (Canada)
Contact: Carolina Silveira (research coordinator), Phone: 519-646-6100 ext. 42367, Fax: 519-646-6226, email: Carolina.Silveira@sjhc.london.on.ca
The Institute’s role in any awarded grant is that of a funder and not a sponsor, and the Institute does not assume any liability associated with funded projects. The safety and scientific validity of a study listed here is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating.